Recorded during a massive thunderstorm over London (in mid-summer, of course), Jon and Dre dive into what Voices in the Dark is all about; why we’re exploring The 48 Laws of Power; what our other shows are going to be… and who the hell are we, anyway?
In a nutshell, we’re ‘just’ exploring the human condition: what it is to be a human beings and the problems we face both as individuals and as a society.
In the process we talk about Dre’s journey from severe autism to learning how ‘to people’ and Jon’s struggles to overcome depression and rock-bottom self-esteem.
We also introduce Jon’s solo interview-conversation show, Talking the Walk, which you’ll find in your Voices in the Dark stream when you subscribe! Check out the first episode here, with the editor of High Existence, Martijn Schirp.
In This Episode:
- How society conditions us to follow ‘the rules’… but the rules are lies
- Our experiences of living in different cultures (of power) – Italy, New Zealand, the USA, Russia, Ukraine and elsewhere
- What drew us to Robert Greene’s works? How have they helped us deal with autism and depression?
- The world of ‘pickup’ and what it really means to seduce people
- If you were a children’s toy, what would you be?
- On not hugging autistic people… or Jon
- The real and harmful effects of not losing your virginity early
- The complexities (or not) of consent
- The dance of seduction and why we all, ultimately, want to join in
- What does ‘Voices in the Dark’ mean to us?
Mentioned in the Episode:
- Robert Greene’s masterpieces, [easyazon_link identifier=”0140280197″ locale=”US” tag=”vointhda-20″]The 48 Laws of Power[/easyazon_link]; [easyazon_link identifier=”0143112783″ locale=”US” tag=”vointhda-20″]The 33 Strategies of War[/easyazon_link]; [easyazon_link identifier=”014312417X” locale=”US” tag=”vointhda-20″]Mastery[/easyazon_link]; and [easyazon_link identifier=”1861977697″ locale=”US” tag=”vointhda-20″]The Art of Seduction[/easyazon_link]
- The ‘10,000 hour rule’ was popularised in Malcolm Gladwell’s book, [easyazon_link identifier=”0316010669″ locale=”US” tag=”vointhda-20″]Blink[/easyazon_link]
- Jon’s experiences with Ayahuasca, which he made a series of vlogs about
- Neil Strauss’s controversial and brilliant book, [easyazon_link identifier=”0060554738″ locale=”US” tag=”vointhda-20″]The Game[/easyazon_link], and its remarkable sequel, [easyazon_link identifier=”1782110976″ locale=”US” tag=”vointhda-20″]The Truth[/easyazon_link]
- The London Real podcast
- Neo, the homeless singer who Jon’s interviewed for Talking the Walk. Check out his Facebook page and buy his beautiful music here
- The stunning Radiohead track, Reckoner and Jon’s favourite remix of it
- Ryan Holiday’s books, [easyazon_link identifier=”1591847818″ locale=”US” tag=”vointhda-20″]Ego is the Enemy[/easyazon_link] (check out Jon’s article on it, too!), and [easyazon_link identifier=”1591846358″ locale=”US” tag=”vointhda-20″]The Obstacle is the Way[/easyazon_link]
[kleo_button title=”SUBSCRIBE on iTunes” href=”http://bit.ly/VintheD” style=”default” size=”lg” icon=”music” type=”app_button”]